Saturday, December 8, 2007

I’ve had my run, Baby I'm Done, I gotta go home, Let me go Home

Well, its official, one week form today and I'll be making my way back to the US. And you know what? I can't tell which I am more, happy or sad. These past 3 months have been absolutely amazing. They have been even more unbelievable that I ever imagined, and I am one hundred percent positive that this is where I was supposed to be this fall. I have seen amazing things, made great friends and learned a lot about myself. And I wouldn't trade any of my experiences (even the not so pleasant ones) for anything in the world.
That all being said though, I cannot wait to get home. I spent this past summer living at home and spending practically every waking our with my best friends or some member of my family, and its really hard to just go cold turkey and not see any of them for months. Especially when this is the longest I've ever gone being away from any of them before. But I am happy to report that this (well the past few weeks) have been the first times I have felt homesick. I am quite impressed that I have managed to keep those feelings at bay for most of my time here. Quite an accomplishment in my book! So seeing as how there is only so much time left of my study abroad experience how about a lovely little list of all (er well most) of the things I'm going to miss about life in Perugia!

1. My friends especially my roommates who are probably the funnest craziest group of girls I've ever met and whom I've become ridiculously close to after such a short time.
2. The scenery - walking through these streets past adorably old and ornate Italian buildings and being able to glimpse the Italian countryside everyday, its going to be hard to give that up.
3. My professors! (yes I did in fact go to classes and learn things this semester!) But my Italian teacher is an awesome woman and my Food Cultures professor makes us laugh everyday - I'm going to miss them and their antics.
4. The food - everything is so unbelievably fresh and delicious here. And especially gelatto around every corner! (Why the US hasn't caught that trend yet, I'll never know)
5. Traveling and having adventures every weekend. Sure I can travel around the US, but how often can you just whisk away every weekend and end up in new and interesting countries? Not that often I'd say.
6. The people who work at the little grocery store around the corner from me who I see probably on a daily basis as there always seems to be something our apartment is out of.
7. My room. I have a single in my apartment, so I have a good amount of privacy, but I also have an extra bed in my room, so on any given night, I tend to have surprise roommates as my roommates have taken turns sleeping in this extra bed. (I have 5 roommates and I have managed to have them all as a roommate for at least one night, if not more). Also it has impossibly tall ceilings and beautiful exposed wood. And my window is right over an adorable little street.
8. Writing in this BLOG. Sure I can keep it up when I get home, but really who wants to read about things that aren't my European adventures? But I will say I've enjoyed writing it thus far. It's been a nice way to keep track of all my adventures here, but also I love that I get to "talk" to each of you who read it at least twice a week. I actually have no idea how many people read this thing, but I would like to say thank you for those that do. I can't imagine that my posts have always been exciting or interesting, but thanks for coming back and reading it anyway! It's been fun. :) Though don't get too sad yet, this isn't the last one. I've still got at least two more posts I'm required to make!

No comments: